Richard Sheppard is a freelance illustrator, fine artist, and writer. He holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Illustration from Academy of Art University in San Francisco and a Bachelor of Arts in painting and drawing from Arizona State University. He has illustrated numerous books for major publishers, and his fine art can be seen at galleries around the San Francisco Bay Area. Mediums: watercolor, pen & ink, etching, digital.
- BFA (Academy of Art University, Illustration)
- BA (Arizona State University, Studio Art degree specializing in painting and drawing)
- Classwork and independent study at SRJC in printmaking with Kevin Fletcher
- Week long intensive workshop with Illustrator Howard Brodie.
- CIEE (Council on International Educational Exchange, an educational work exchange program in conjunction with BUNAC). Employed as hotel receptionist for six months in London, England, working closely with the teachers, travel agents, and the students of EF Tours (an European Educational Tour company for Youth). Traveled extensively for two months throughout Europe following the work experience.
- Guest speaker for illustration classes, Santa Rosa Jr. College, Graphic Design Dept., 2009-2022
- Guest speaker at WASCO (Watercolor Association of Sonoma County), 2007
- Classroom Chairperson (adults and children), Healdsburg Center for the Arts (HCA) 2006-2007
- Moderated figure drawing workshops, HCA 2006-2008
- Moderator of plein air painting and drawing workshops “Ready, Set, Sketch!”, 2013-ongoing
- Teacher’s assistant for Barbara Bradley at the Academy of Art University 1995
- A founding Board Member of Healdsburg Center for the Arts (HCA) (a 501(c3) non-profit organization dedicated to creating, inspiring, and promoting the arts through community education programs, events, and exhibitions.) 2003-2006
- Resident Artist Chairperson HCA 2005
- Operations Committee member HCA 2000-2009
- Healdsburg Festival for the Arts (graphics, Co-Chair) 2008, 2009
- Raven Theater/Players Healdsburg, CA (illustrations and graphics)
- Organized a large group art show for SRJC students
- Charles M. Schulz Charlie Brown Statue (Painted a Charlie Brown sculpture sold for $15,000). Money raised at auction contributed to art scholarships for local students, as well as the construction of a bronze statue of Charlie Brown and Linus for Santa Rosa’s Charles M. Schulz Airport.
- Boys and Girls Club; Healdsburg, CA (Painted prototype truck sculpture used for advertising event “The Truck Stops Here”. Truck raised $3,400)
- Healdsburg Center for the Arts (Opera in the Garden, Miniatures at the Manor, Healdsburg Art Festival, et al.)
- Care Through Touch Institute; San Francisco, CA (25th anniversary fundraiser poster art)
- Healthcare Foundation of Sonoma County
- Russian River Chamber Music (presents world-class artists in free concerts, and educational programs for children)Â 2007, 2008
- Hemophilia Association of Northern California 1995-2014
- Healdsburg Center for the Arts
- The Living Wisdom School, Palo Alto (K-8), Joy of Art Auction for the school’s community service based theater program.Â 2007, 2009
- Raven Players (original artwork for auction fundraiser)